Monday, July 19, 2010

Y- FIT - Reality Weight Loss Journey with Cynthea Wight Hausman - Week 5

 Cynthea working out at the Greater Burlington YMCA

Hello.  My name is Cynthea.  I'm a 40-something single mom who owns her own business and is overweight.  I’m joining the Summer Y-FIT program with Alexandra Jasinowski to take my own advice and make my health a priority.

I am extremely proud of myself today.  I lost my first 10 pounds in the program!  It feels really good.  No, I am not a "perfect" dieter.  I'm not a "perfect" work out scheduler either but, I did my best and I am really excited.  I like to win.  I like to achieve things I set my mind to.  I also push myself really hard to remember the goals I set.  Sometimes in healthy ways and sometimes not.  However, even without being that perfect rule follower, I am still finding success.  Phew.

Alex helped me with one of my greatest challenges - social eating.  I am lucky to have such wonderful friends that invite me to parties and gatherings.  The buffet is sometimes a gauntlet I have to survive.  I do make good choices but, the running total of all the little things I sample gets crazy and hard to remember for later food logging.  Alex made a really great suggestion, take a plate and make a pass at the buffet.  Then eat only what you have on your plate - even if you don't eat it all at the same time.  Genius!  I think that will definitely help.

The other thing I notice is that my crazy sweet tooth is so much better.  Maybe it's because I am not quite as tired in the evening or maybe because I have actual food in my belly from real meals throughout the day.  I'm not sure but, I'm glad it's gotten better.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes, "The journey IS the reward."  That is what I have to hold close to my heart.

Cynthea Wight Hausman is the owner and operator of Cynthea’s Spa, a petite, urban day spa in the heart of Burlington’s Church Street Marketplace.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Cynthea! That is wonderful. I think loving ourselves and nurturing ourselves is the key. And enjoying our imperfect journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "single plate" idea is a great one! One other one that I've heard is, Make sure that at least half your plate is steamed or fresh vegetables and / or fruit. That leaves less space for the more calorically-enhanced options, but leaves you feeling like you had a full plate!

    Congrats on your first 10 lbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Cynthea! This is an awesome achievement...and just the beginning of your incredible, transformational journey! -SJ

    ReplyDelete