Thursday, May 7, 2009

The weekend is coming, it's a great time to cook

Here we are again, almost at the weekend. As I hear it the weekends do pose some of the biggest obstacles to staying on track with watching your weight. I myself also have the same issue. I want you to think about doing some cooking. The weekend is a great time to explore the supermarket, your pantry and your kitchen.

If you do not have a good selection of spices and herbs, go get some. Here are some of my favs. I love some of the pre-made spice mixtures such as Montreal Steak seasoning (it’s not just for steak), Cajun or Creole seasoning, lemon pepper, curry powder just to name a few. I also just love garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano, basal, thyme dill and of course salt and pepper.

Armed with a fry pan and some of these spices you can make up some quick and easy dishes. Here is one to try. Get your self some fish, can be salmon, tilapia or a chicken breast or thigh, brush on a light coat of canola oil and sprinkle on the spices of your choice. I would try a light coating of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Heat up a sauté pan nice and hot on a medium-heat. Throw the fish or chicken in for a few minutes per side and “presto-chango” you will have some of the best tasting "vittles" you have had in a while. Now, try this using some salt pepper and curry powder. You get an entirly different flavor. Easy too. This works equally well on the BBQ.

Serve this with a salad on the side or just plop the fish or chicken right on top of a salad.

Have a great weekend,

Stuart

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stuart,
    I need advice. A relative in Massachusetts is very near death and we expect to be traveling to help his wife when he dies. I'd like to make a couple of meals to put in my freezer so we can take them on a moment's notice, and the traditional lasagne comes to mind. Do you have a suggestion or two for something more healthy that freezes well and can be easily transported?

    Thank you,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee, I am sorry to hear about your sick relative.

    There are many dishes that freeze well. When I am in this situation I tend to focus on what my reheating situation is. Do I have a stove top, an oven or a microwave available? How much time do I have to reheat the items?

    My favorite go to dishes would anything braised. This is a dish that is initially slow cooked in liquid. You can use almost any protein source; I particularly like chicken, pork and beef dishes. You can add lots of veggies to these dishes. Dark greens and root vegetables work well. The best thing about braised dishes is that they get better as they sit. I also like braised food because you cannot overcook them when reheating and can be reheated on the stove top, oven or microwave. Other things that work well are chili and hearty soups.

    I try to stay away from fish and seafood as they tend to get a strange texture when cooked, frozen than warmed up again.

    Lasagna and pasta dishes also work well however I am always trying to stay away from too much pasta and cheese.

    I hope this give you some guidance,
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete